I hope you all enjoyed your weekend to the fullest! Mine was fantastic! The weather was beautiful, which allowed me to enjoy several bike rides for a bit of great exercise. :-) If you haven't engaged in exercise this week or the past few days, I urge you to get it movin'...your body will love you for it! I promise! ;-)
Have you ever cooked your own beets? Well, I hadn't until last night. It is such an easy process and what a nice sweet & natural treat! The rich color in beets is due to the betalains, which may help protect against heart disease, birth defects, and certain cancers.
- Begin by washing the beets as well as the stems and greens (save greens/stems and use as you would any other green - so tasty sauteed with some coconut oil).
- Cut beets into small cubes.
- Place in baking dish or castiron pot for 25 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Eat plain or toss in your next creative salad for added health benefits!
I've been glued to Jessica Porter's book "The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics" this past week. She presents Macrobiotics in a creative and humerous way. Macrobiotic living is essentially eating in the most whole and natural way. It is a fascinating way of thinking...I'm starting to incorporate some more unique ingredients into my daily eating patterns.
She has a delicious recipe for "Really Yummy Oat Bars." But of course, I may have used a few substitutions...that's just what I do...no harm, right? :-) I also added cloves and ginger and it makes a perfect addition. Try them out and satisfy that sweet tooth! Includes a WHOLE grain and is a healthier option to that huge cookie from the supermarket (or even "health" stores...right?!). Enjoy with a glass of almond milk.
Yummy Oat Bars: yields 8 small bars/6 larger bars.
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour (use oat or rice flour to be gluten-free)
- 1 3/4 cups rolled oats (use GF oats if necessary)
- 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup raisins, non-dairy chocolate chips, &/or walnuts (optional)