Sunday, April 3, 2011

Healing Foods!

     Ah yes, the ridiculously high pollen count in Austin, Texas has played a number on me . :-( I've never had allergies in the past, but I am doing my best to manage. I guess I should back off on the bike-riding to school...I learned my lesson. From black elderberry, fruits high in vitamin C, lots of water & tea, irrigation of the ears, a neti pot, and other healing foods, I am slowly regaining my normal health back - hallelujah! :-)

     If you are suffering from a cold, sinus congestion, allergies, or simply desire a powerful, healthy, and healing soup, please give this recipe a try! I made this soup this afternoon and tailored it to my needs...my body was thankful and very pleased!

A Healing & Soothing Soup

*I encourage you to use organic ingredients as often as possible.*
½ cup diced red onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, chopped, set aside leafy carrot tops
¼ cup red lentils, uncooked
4 cups water or vegetable stock
2 collard green leaves, chopped
½ cup chopped red cabbage
carrot tops, roughly chopped
dash pepper
pinch of sea salt
dash nutmeg
dash cinnamon
Sauté onion and garlic cloves in ¼ cup of water. After 3-4 minutes, add chopped carrots, lentils and 1 cup water. Cook for 15-20 minutes, covered. Once lentils and carrots are cooked through, add collard greens, cabbage, carrot tops, pepper, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
Yields – 3-4 servings

A soup to surely soothe your ailment...and fresh flowers are always uplifting!

Why do I claim this is a healing soup? Check out the amazing contributions from the ingredients I used!

Onions & Garlic
·        rejuvenating on all tissues and body systems
·         Helpful for colds, bronchial disorders, joint problems, cysts, and fluid retention
·         3000 B.C. garlic was used for cancer & leprosy
Carrots
·         Best source of beta carotene
·         Cleanses the body of impurities
·         Anti-inflammatory
·         Energizing
·         Useful in respiratory conditions
Lentils
·         high levels of protein, iron, and fiber
Collard Greens
·         High in vitamin C and fiber
·         Strengthens immune system
Cabbage
·         Anti-inflammatory & draws out infection
·         Decreases headache pain
·         Red cabbage is high in iron – ideal to eat cooked rather than raw to avoid constipation
Pepper
·         Digestive stimulant
·         Energy producing
·         Stimulates blood & increases circulation
·         Reduces fat
Nutmeg
·         Calming, sleep-inducing
·         Strengthens heart & eases menstruation
·         Improves appetite & digestion
·         Only use in small quantities as high amounts may be toxic – 1 tsp or less
Cinnamon
·         Digestive aid, diuretic
·         Aphrodisiac
·         Analgesic
·         Anti-yeast agent
·         Useful for colds and sinus congestion
Information gathered from The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Healing Remedies by C. Norman Shealy (2002 ed.)
This is an EXCELLENT book to guide you through natural remedies to maintain or regain your optimal health!
Blessings on your health!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment