Friday, September 2, 2011

Make Your Lunch Beautiful & Tasty!

     I enjoyed such a beautiful & tasty lunch today! After picking up an avocado from the store this afternoon, I thought "Hm...an avocado and kale salad sounds sooo good right now." Thankfully, I already had kale, dijon mustard, tomatoes, and a lemon. Easy peasy! I know sometimes we are all in a rush, but you deserve the best! Make the effort to create a delicious & eye-pleasing lunch for yourself. I promise you will feel proud and rejuvenated!

     Why not give my ideas a run for their money? Below I have a dish called "Waldo Quinoa." I gave it this name simply because I mixed red and white quinoa together...hey, just like kiddos, adults need to have some fun with their food too! ;-)

     Quinoa is rich in protein & fiber. Kale is full of antioxidants which may help in the prevention of cancer. Avocados contain heart healthy fats. Lemon aids in digestion. Why not make this your next meal? :-) Enjoy.


Avocado Kale Salad & Waldo Quinoa

Avocado Kale Salad

3 kale leaves
1/2 avocado
1 tsp dijon mustard with garlic
(or add a fresh clove of garlic if you only have plain dijon)
1/2 tomato, medium dice
1/4 lemon, juiced
pinch of salt

In a small mixing bowl, de-stem the kale and tear into bite size pieces (set aside stems for later use). Massaage avocado into the kale using a fork or your hands (I like using my hands). Stir in dijon mustard, tomatoes, lemon juice, and salt.
Now rejoice & consume your anti-oxidant rich salad!


Waldo Quinoa

1/2 cup yellow onion, small dice
1/2 cup carrots, small dice
1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup white quinoa
1/2 cup red quiona
2 cups water
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 tsp sea salt
Pepper to taste

In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, add oil until warm. Next add onions & saute for 3 minutes. Add carrots and saute 5 more minutes. Once onions are translucent, add quinoa, water, & salt. Bring to a boil. Once a boil has been reached, simmer on low for 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Garnish with fresh lemon juice. Add salt & pepper to taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment